Woman killed, man hospitalized after carbon monoxide poisoning
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho — One woman is dead and a man has been hospitalized after the two were poisoned by carbon monoxide inside their Coeur d’Alene home.
The Coeur d’Alene Fire Department and Kootenai Fire and Rescue responded Thursday night around 6 p.m. for a report of possible cardiac arrests after the woman and male were found in their home by family members. The couple had missed a doctor’s appointment earlier in the day and the family went to check on them.
Life-saving measures began immediately after the two were removed from the home. The woman could not be revived and was pronounced dead. The man was transported to Kootenai Health and later flown to a Seattle hospital for further treatment.
Fire crews found carbon monoxide levels over 280 ppm (parts per million) on the main level of the home and 356 ppm in the basement. Coeur d’Alene Fire says the two would have become disoriented and unable to evacuate the home due to the levels of carbon monoxide in the home.
Avista Utilities was called to try to identify the cause of the carbon monoxide. Their findings are unknown at this time.
Both fire departments would like to remind anyone using a fuel-fired heating appliance such as wood, propane, and natural gas to make sure they have working carbon monoxide detectors on each level of their home and outside of sleeping rooms.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY KXLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.