Wildfire destroys home, burns 1,400 acres near Moses Lake

Firefighters say fireworks are most likely the cause of a wildfire that torched 1,400 acres just northwest of Moses Lake Sunday afternoon.

Battalion Chief Leonard Johnson says the fire started in a field off of Stonecrest Drive NE sometime Sunday afternoon.

High winds, with gusts in excess of 30 miles-per-hour spread the fire through tall dry grass and sagebrush.

As the fire burned west of Highway 17 near the Grant County Airport, emergency management officials ordered mandatory evacuations for 50 homes in the fire’s proximity.

Those evacuations were lifted a little more than an hour later when firefighters were able to get an upper hand on the flames.

Firefighters say one mobile home was destroyed by the fire, a workshop and four to five other outbuildings were also lost to the flames.

Battalion Chief Johnson says the fire was at 90-percent containment Sunday night. Crews will remain on scene through the overnight hours to put out hot spots and to finish mopping up the fire.

Firefighters say they’ve responded to several wildfires in the past week — most of which were caused by fireworks.