Washington state sues Trump over diverted military funding
OLYMPIA, Wash. — Governor Jay Inslee and Attorney General Bob Ferguson have filed a lawsuit challenging the Trump Administration’s use of Washington military project funding to pay for the border wall.
Inslee and Ferguson formally announced the lawsuit at a press conference Thursday morning.
Earlier this month, the Department of Defense announced it would divert funding for an $89 million pier project at Naval Base Kitsap in Bangor to help build $3.6 billion in fencing and barriers along the U.S. border with Mexico.
The Seattle Times reported the Bangor cut is one of 127 military construction projects in 23 states, three U.S. territories and 20 countries that will lose funding to help pay for barriers in Texas, Arizona and California, which are part of President Donald Trump’s long-sought border wall.
Washington Senators Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell, as well as Representative Derek Kilmer have also criticized Trump’s actions.
In a joint statement, the Democratic leaders said, “It is deeply disturbing to see the administration unilaterally raid funds from these vital projects in Washington and across the country to fund an ineffective, completely unnecessary border wall. Our men and women in uniform deserve better.”
The statement said the project funding at Naval Base Kitsap would have been used to build a pier for the Maritime Force Protection Unit, which protects submarines on the way to and from the base.
The cuts come as a result from a February 15, 2019, declaration by Trump that a national emergency exists at the southern border that requires the use of armed forces. Defense Secretary Mark Esper has authorized the 11 projects that involve placing and expanding fencing and barriers along the border.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY KXLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.