Washington launches new site to help you track down your unclaimed cash

Thousands of dollars stolen from parent-teacher organizations
FreeImages.com/Dani Simmonds

OLYMPIA, Wash. — The state has launched a new website to help you find and claim lost funds. 

Through the Department of Revenue’s new site, Washingtonians can now easily find if they are owed money. 

Currently, one in two Washingtonians have unclaimed property being held by the state. That unclaimed property includes bank accounts, insurance proceeds, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, utility and phone company deposits, uncashed checks or customer/patient credits. 

These payments can range from less than $25 to thousands of dollars. To date, the state has returned more than $1,113,863,003 to its rightful owners. 

So, how do you claim your cash? 

  1. Go to https://ucp.dor.wa.gov/
  2. Enter your first and last name, or business name
  3. If you’d like to narrow your search, you can enter your city, zip code or property ID
  4. Select “Claim”
  5. From here, you will be required to fill out information to prove you are the rightful owner. This includes your address, email, social security, etc. 

Once you have fully claimed your funds, the state will send you your money. 

“This website represents a big step forward for our customers, who will see noticeable improvements when using the system,” said DOR Director Vikki Smith. “In today’s economic climate, I’m excited that we are making the process of reuniting people with their money as easy as possible.”