University of Idaho football player charged with rape

University of Idaho football player charged with rape

A University of Idaho football player is being investigated for an on-campus rape.

Kyree Curington bonded out of the Latah County Jail following his first court appearance Monday morning.

Investigators arrested Curington Saturday in connection to a reported rape in the university’s Wallace dormitory.

According to court documents, the victim said she and some friends ran into Curington at a bar in Pullman. The victim said she and her friends went back to Moscow and smoked marijuana in a car; she told police she had never tried marijuana and that she was feeling the effect of the drug.

She went back to her room and was chatting with Curington through Snapchat; she said they agreed he would come to her dorm room for the night to sleep. She said she was “very direct with Curington about her intentions with him and that she did not want to do anything with him, but he could sleep in bed with her.”

The two were on the top bunk and she said Curington started grabbing at her She said he kept trying and she kept saying no. Then, she said he was smothering her face so she could not make a sound. She said she felt her legs pinned down and that she tried to push Curington off of her.

She described the incident in detail to police, saying she was frozen and could not move. When he left, she started calling friends and her parents, who told her to go to the hospital. At the hospital, she was given a sexual assault examination.

During a police interview later Friday morning, Curington admitted to having a conversation at a Pullman bar with the victim just a few hours before the alleged attack but denied going to her dorm room. He said he would be willing to give a DNA sample, but not at that time.

Police then reviewed security footage which showed the victim walking to her dorm room. Police say you can also see a man on video who was wearing exactly the same clothes Curington was wearing when they interviewed him.

Police saw Curington walking out of the dorm about 45 minutes later.

Police also interviewed the victim’s roommate, who said she heard her roommate whispering “No, I don’t do that” to someone; then she started hearing kisses, so she put on headphones and went to sleep. She also described the bed shaking.

Police arrested Curington Saturday afternoon on a rape charge. In a statement released to KXLY4 News, the University said he’s been suspended from the football team indefinitely.

Curington posted a $75,000 bond and is scheduled to be back in court on January 10.

Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.