Two injured in garage fire

Two injured in garage fire
THE DAILY EVERGREEN
Firefighters assess the damage to the garage of a house located at 312 NW True Street after a structure fire Tuesday.DYLAN GREENE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

A firefighter and a resident were injured in a garage fire Tuesday morning on True Street in Pullman.

Crews from the Pullman Fire Department and Whitman County Fire District 12 responded to a fire at 312 NW True Street around 9:30 a.m., Pullman Mayor and Public Information Officer Glenn Johnson said.

A firefighter responding to the blaze injured his ankle, Pullman FD Assistant Fire Chief Ryan Scharnhorst said.

“Early on, first crew in reported a firefighter injury,” he said. “He has since been transported to the hospital. [The firefighter’s] possibly looking at a broken ankle.”

In addition to the injured firefighter, an inhabitant of the residence was in the backyard when crews arrived, Scharnhorst said. A neighbor alerted arriving crews to the location of the victim, who uses a wheelchair, leading crews to begin rescue efforts before focusing on the flames.

The victim suffered smoke inhalation, but following medical attention from crews on-scene decided against transport to Pullman Regional Hospital. The victim is expected to recover fully, Scharnhorst said.

You can find the full article on the The Daily Evergreen.