SVFD responds to gas leak on E. Broadway
SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. — A natural gas leak caused a disruption late Wednesday afternoon after an underground boring machine punctured a gas line in the 12200 block of E. Broadway Ave in Spokane Valley.
Spokane Valley Firefighters responded to the scene where an audible hiss of gas could be clearly heard coming from the eastbound lanes of Broadway. The road was completely blocked off between Pines and Wilbur and nine nearby buildings were evacuated. Several of those buildings were found to have detectable levels of natural gas.
Firefighters manned fire hoses and sprayed down the street where gas was leaking from. Crews from Avista Utilities brought in equipment to gain access to the leaking gas lines. Fire crews continued to man the fire hoses to protect Avista crews while they worked to shut off the gas.
The gas line was shut off around 7 p.m. and Avista crews are remaining on scene to complete repairs on the punctured line.
A total of 12 apparatus and support vehicles responded to the gas leak and no firefighter injuries were reported.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KXLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.