SEATTLE, Wash. - The #3 Washington Huskies clinched the first game of their best-of-three Super Regional series with #14 Kentucky, winning 3-0, with Taran Alvelo and Gabbie Plain throwing a combined shutout.
Washington scored early once again, taking the lead in the first inning and never looking back. Sami Reynolds drove in the first run of the game, Morganne Flores homered again, and Sis Bates had two hits.
Alvelo threw 3.2 innings before Plain took over in the fourth inning. Alvelo would allow only two hits and a walk, ending a streak of 21.1 IP without a free pass. Plain took over with two runners on and two outs, promptly tossing her 400th career strikeout to end the threat.
Plain finished off the game, working out of three tough situations with multiple Wildcats on base without any damage done, including a two on, no out scenario in the sixth.
- Seager hits tiebreaking HR, Mariners beat Blue Jays 4-3
- "Gordon played the best" Mike Leach on QB race after second WSU scrimmage
- Talkington handed the reins and leads EWU offense to 425-yard effort
- Vandals making progress in the trenches
- Guerrero, Grichuk power Blue Jays to 7-3 win over Mariners
- Seager's 3 RBIs lead Mariners over Tigers, 7-2