KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Rookie Jakob Junis pitched eight sharp innings and the Kansas City Royals beat the Seattle Mariners 9-1 to split their doubleheader Sunday.
Nelson Cruz homered twice and drove in four runs as the Mariners held off the Royals 8-7 in the first game.
Whit Merrifield homered in both games for the Royals.
Junis (4-2), who was added to Kansas City's roster as the extra 26th man for the twinbill, allowed one run. He retired his final 19 batters after giving up an RBI double to Danny Espinosa in the second inning.
Junis walked none and struck out a career-high seven.
Melky Cabrera hit a three-run homer off Erasmo Ramirez (4-4) during a four-run third inning. It was Cabrera's first home run since the Royals acquired him in a July 30 trade with the Chicago White Sox. Cabrera also had an RBI double.
Eric Hosmer homered and drove in three runs for the Royals.
- Slovenian hockey player fails drug test at PyeongChang Games
- Clark Leads The Way For Team, School, And Freeman Community
- Chiefs Win 3rd Straight 5-1 in Seattle
- Last Second Shot Falls Short as WSU Falls at Colorado
- Williams leads No. 9 Gonzaga over Pepperdine 81-67
- Washington State's Comeback Falls Short Against Utah