Eastern Women fall to BYU

CHENEY, Wash - In a great battle at Reese Court on Friday night (Nov. 17), the Eastern Washington University women's basketball team came up just short against the visiting Brigham Young Cougars, falling by a final score of 73-69.
Both Violet Kapri Morrow and Uriah Howard led the Eagles in double figures, setting new career highs. Morrow posted 25 points and led the team with 11 rebounds for her first career double-double, while Howard added 17 points and was 4-7 behind the arc.
"I thought our effort was the best it's been, we have to play that hard all the time. I thought we played hard, it wasn't great and smart all of the time, but we played hard and that makes up for a lot. In a lot of ways, we did some really good things," said head coach Wendy Schuller. "We played a really good team tonight, so I hope that helps our confidence. We need to know that we can play with anybody. I saw some really good things from us, but we are a work in progress. We are going to get better, we are buying into the process and we want to keep working every day. We don't want to be our best right now, we want to be our best in January and February."
Eastern led by six points after the first quarter thanks to a 13-2 run over the final three minutes. Howard had reached a new career-high in points by the middle of the second quarter after going 3-4 from three-point range. EWU led most of the second half, but the Cougars went on a 6-0 run to close out the second quarter. At the end of two quarters of play, the Eagles led 31-27.
The third quarter opened with a Symone Starks' three-pointer, but the Cougars took their first lead of the half after hitting four three-pointers of their own. Morrow then exploded for seven points in 47 seconds and the Eagles forced three turnovers during that span. Both teams would put up 22 points apiece during the third frame – BYU shot 54.5% from the field while the Eagles shot at a 50% clip. At the end of three quarters, EWU still held a 53-49 lead.
BYU took a commanding lead in the fourth quarter as they used a 12-0 run, hitting five out of six field goals. They were able to hold EWU scoreless for over four minutes, and made it to the line several times, hitting 12 out of 15 free throws. Eastern turned the ball over six times, but worked to stay alive as Howard hit a three-pointer with 2.4 seconds left to come within three points. However, it wasn't enough to spark EWU's offense as they fell by a score of 73-69.