EVERETT, Wash. - The Spokane Chiefs took down the Everett Silvertips 3-1 on Sunday afternoon in Everett, taking a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven second round series. Games 3, 4 and 5 (if necessary) are scheduled to be played at Spokane Arena this week.
After a stalemate first half of the opening period, it was Everett who broke through first as Philadelphia Flyers prospect Wyatte Wylie fired a slapshot past a screened Bailey Brkin to make it 1-0 at 16:01. The goal was effectively a power play as Spokane’s Jake McGrew was just released back after taking a cross-checking penalty minutes prior.
McGrew exacted revenge just two minutes later, chipping a puck past Everett defenseman Sahvan Khaira and dragging it through another defender before chipping a backhand shot past Dustin Wolf to tie the game at 1-1. The highlight reel goal – the San Jose Shark prospect’s first of the playoffs – was assisted by Riley Woods, who extended his point streak to eight games (including regular season).
Late in the second, forward Eli Zummack capitalized on the Chiefs’ second power play chance of the game, patiently waiting for an opening on the left side before roofing the puck above Wolf’s blocker for what would prove to be the game-winning goal. Co-captains Jaret Anderson-Dolan and Ty Smith earned assists.
- Rangers complete 3-game sweep of Mariners with 2-1 win
- Ferris soccer seeks first state soccer title for the GSL in two decades
- Cougars make change in baseball leadership
- Chiefs extend contract for head coach Dan Lambert
- Richardson leaves his mark at Shadle Park
- Ferris boys soccer advances to state semifinals in double OT win