Spontaneous combustion from oily rags likely caused Spokane Valley house fire
SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. — Firefighters believe a Spokane Valley house fire was started by spontaneous combustion.
No one was injured Tuesday morning, but the house was completely destroyed.
A further investigation found two potential ignition sources. Rags covered in oil-based stain were found near an electrical outlet. Firefighters said it does not appear this ignited the fire, but further forensic evaluation may provide additional information.
Fire investigators believe it is more likely that the oily rags went through an exothermic chemical reaction that led to thermal runaway, which then caused the ignition of combustible material.
The family who lived in the home was displaced by the fire.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY KXLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.