Population growth in Washington remains strong
OLYMPIA, Wash. — Washington’s population grew by an estimated 126,600 persons over the past year – a 1.76 percent increase – which is the largest percentage increase since 2006.
As of April 1, 2017, there were 7,310,000 Washington residents, according to annual estimates prepared by the Office of Financial Management.
The primary driver behind the population growth? Migration.
From 2016 to 2017, net migration (people moving in versus people moving out) totaled 90,800, up 3,700 from last year. Net migration has also accounted for 72 percent of the state’s population growth this year. Natural increases (births minus deaths) are responsible for the remaining 28 percent.
77 percent of the state’s total population increase occurs in Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish, and Spokane counties.
Washington added 39,500 housing units in 2017, an increase of 15 percent compared with the 34,400 units added in 2016.
Additional information on the latest population estimates for the state, counties, cities and towns is available at http://www.ofm.wa.gov/pop/april1/ .
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY KXLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.