Please don’t microwave your face mask

SPOKANE, Wash. — Do not microwave your face mask.

The Spokane Fire Department is dispelling rumors that using your microwave is a proper way to sanitize your face mask.

Firefighters made a video showing what could happen if you do put your mask in the microwave. Through a series of experiments, firefighters show that it will likely cause a fire.

Fabric masks, with or without metal nose clips, all quickly caught fire. Firefighters also warn of putting your mask in a plastic bag, then inside the microwave.

Why you shouldn't microwave your facemask.

Just The Facts.Here's what happens when you microwave fabric face masks. Keep you and your home safe by following CDC recommendations for sanitzing cloth masks. #YourSpokaneFireDepartment

Posted by City of Spokane Fire Department on Monday, April 27, 2020

The best way to sanitize your mask is to wash it in your washing machine and dryer.

The Centers for Disease Control has more info on washing your mask here.

RELATED: Following the CDC’s instructions to make a ‘no sew’ face mask

READ: Spokane Valley firefighter goes live on Facebook each week with ‘Fire Science Fridays’