Parents remember son killed in Spokane shooting

Parents remember son killed in Spokane shooting

A family is preparing to do the unthinkable next week. They’re getting ready to lay their son to rest, after police say he was shot and killed by his girlfriend’s estranged husband, Donavan Gibson, last Tuesday.

Scott and Jacqui-Lyn Jones say their 24-year-old Devan Bouge was a funny, loving father and talented artist who had so much more to give. They say the last week has been a nightmare.

“It’s been like waves. The first day was completely awful. It felt, it felt like it wasn’t real,” said Jacqui-Lyn. “I don’t understand how somebody who is good, on the right path, doesn’t do anything horrible… The worst thing he does is be frustrating at times and how that can just be taken away.”

Scott reflected on the moment he got the call Wednesday afternoon, the day after the fatal shooting.

“He said, ‘unfortunately, Devan is not with us. Didn’t make it.’ And that was, I don’t know, that was, I don’t know how to describe it,” said Scott. “A million years, it’s not what I would’ve expected on a call.”

Police say Gibson was going through a divorce with his wife Sasha. Court documents say Gibson broke into Sasha’s home Tuesday night, shot and killed Bouge and shot Sasha twice in the head.

Jacqui-Lyn said Devan and Sasha thought they found the love of their life.

“Sasha, the time that he’s been with her, just happened to be the time that, you know, she’s helped him get on the right track in some areas and he was so happy,” she said.

Scott said Devan was her fresh start.

“Sasha had been trying to free herself from this guy for months,” he said.

They remember their son as a funny, talented artist and a loving father. Devan leaves behind two children of his own — just 3- and 5-years-old.

“I see his kids from a dad point of view and know that they’re not going to know him like that,” Scott said. “They’re never going to know him as a friend.”

As they mourn the loss of their son, they watched as the man accused of taking his life appeared in court Monday. Gibson is charged with first degree murder and attempted murder. His bond is set at $500,000 for each charge, bringing the total bond to $1 million.

Gibson argued that bond Monday — saying because he turned himself in and has PTSD, bipolar disorder and anxiety, the bond should be lowered and he should be released to a mental health facility. Commissioner Dooyema denied that request. His bond will remain at $1 million. Sasha Gibson is still recovering in the hospital.

Scott and Jacqui-Lyn are still struggling to make sense of it all. But they still smile at times when they remember their son, who they say was full of love and compassion for others.

“His last words to my face were ‘I love you’ and he was laughing while he said it,” Jacqui-Lyn said. “Hug your kiddos and make sure you don’t take for granted the time.”

Devan’s aunt has created a GoFundMe for his funeral costs.

Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.