Passed away March 8, 2018. She was born January 4, 1922 in Miles, WA to Clarence Charles and Mary Alice (Butler) Toulou.
She joined a brother Charles Lester at the home in Kewa, WA. Violet attended St. Mary’s Missions in Omak, WA and Desmet, ID for schooling. She graduated from Elk Grove High School in Calif. She continued her education at Kinman Business College in Spokane.
She met Harry Assing and they were married in 1942. She raised two children, Shirley born in 1943 and Gary in 1947. She was a member of the Colville Confederated Tribes and a life member for the DAV and VFW Auxiliaries.
She is survived by her daughter Shirley Akin (Bill); son Gary Assing (Colleen); 5 grandchildren Billy, Darrell, Kathy, Matthew, Sonia; numerous great-grandchildren; sisters Gen Robertson and Eleanor Kinder and a special friend Ron Chapple. She was preceded in death by her parents; husband Harry; brothers Charlie, Clell and Alvin and a sister Elsie Aubertin.
Visitation will be Friday 10-5pm and a Funeral Service 10am Saturday, March 17, 2018 at Heritage Funeral Chapel. All contributions should go the VFW or DAV Auxiliaries, 212 S. David Rd., Spokane Valley, WA 99212.
- Student strangers become friends planning March For Our Lives Spokane
- Suspect on the loose after hours-long standoff
- Jersey Mikes donates all sales to Providence Health Care Foundation
- Body found at Winchester State Park
- Interior Secretary and Spokane Tribe discuss opioid crisis, Grand Coulee Dam compensation
- Wake Up Call to offer puppaccinos on National Puppy Day