James (Age 91) was born March 25, 1927 in Marshall Town, IA to Ernest and Bonita Nodland. He passed away peacefully on October 26, 2018 in Spokane, WA.
James moved west from Iowa when he was 12 years old. He attended North Central High School, and at age 18 he enlisted in the Navy. After his time in the Navy James began working for the Great Northwestern Railroad and BNSF, retiring after 41 years.
In 1950, James married Isabel (Izzy) Hooper. They had 2 children; Karen Cossette and Julie (Dick) Welsh. He was very proud of his 7 grandchildren, 13 great-grandchildren, with one more on the way, who lovingly called him “Grampie, Gramps, or Grandpa Jim”. His license plate even said, “Grandpa’s Taxi”. He is also survived by numerous nieces and nephews. James is preceded in death by his parents and brother Paul Nodland.
After retirement Jim and Isabel traveled to Norway to visit and learn about his Norwegian heritage.
Jim never met a stranger and loved his delicious coffee. He was a loving husband, father, and grandfather. He loved fishing and building things and helping his daughters and grandchildren in any way he could.
James was a member of the Country Homes Christian Church, American Legion, and was a member of the United Transportation Union for over 60 years.
A Memorial Service for James will be held on Saturday, November 3, at 1:00 PM at Country Homes Christian Church, 8415 N. Wall. Pastor Greg Skinner will be officiating.
- 3 missing children found in car of driver who assaulted police officers
- Thief nabs school's ski trip money, community steps up to help
- Attack at shelter 'not the face of homelessness' according to organizer
- Bed bug bombs hospitalize three Spokane Valley firefighters
- Kia, Hyundai recall cars due to concern of engine fires
- SpokAnimal offers free pet food to government workers