PULLMAN, Wash - Washington State University has named Senior Associate Athletic Director John Johnson to lead its athletic department while it searches for someone to replace outgoing athletic director Bill Moos.
Moos, a WSU alum who has led the department for seven years, shocked the university Sunday when he was named athletic director at the University of Nebraska.
Monday, WSU President Kirk Schulz named Johnson to serve as interim AD, effective Wednesday. He will not be a candidate for the permanent position.
"John is an outstanding administrator and a fierce advocate for the Washington State University athletics program," Schulz said. "I couldn't ask for a better-qualified individual to make sure that Cougar athletics continues to excel as we search for WSU's next athletic director."
Johnson, a Spokane native, has served as athletic director at Eastern Washington University and at Weber State University.
Schulz also announced the committee that will direct the search for the new athletic director. Schulz is the chair of the committee which also includes:
- Jack Thompson - Class of 1978, former WSU quarterback, Business Development Partner for Cherry Creek Mortgage Company
- June Daugherty - WSU Women's Basketball Coach
- Gary Schneidmiller - Class of 1971, Owner of Coldwell Banker Schneidmiller Realty
- Abu Kamara - Chair of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and track & field athlete
- Nancy Swanger - Faculty Athletics Representative, associate dean and director of the WSU School of Hospitality Management, associate professor with the Carson College of Business
- Greg Rankich - Class of 1994, CEO and President of Xtreme Consulting Group, Inc
The committee will begin its work immediately.
You can share your thoughts about the next athletic director and the future of the athletic department on this website.
- Spokane Police Chief appointed to Washington Association of Sheriffs & Police Chiefs Executive Board
- Nez Perce County Sheriff's Office cracks down on drunk driving
- Semi-truck driver killed near Wallace
- Morning Sprint: Dec. 13
- Working smoke detectors save Spokane Valley man's life
- Idaho Greeks self-impose sanctions on alcohol-related events