SPOKANE, Wash. - On Tuesday around 4:00 p.m., police and medical crews responded to an emergency at the Centennial Hotel in downtown Spokane.
74-year-old Marla Willeen Leander suffered heart failure after jumping into the pool to help a child who was having difficulty.
According to the Spokane County Medical Examiner, this incapacitated Leander and caused her to drown.
Unfortunately, no lifeguard was present at the pool when the incident occurred.
The Centennial Hotel was formerly the Hotel RL and before that, the Red Lion Inn at the Park.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
SPD investigating drive-by shooting near Chelan and Ash
City of Spokane public pools are closing for the summer soon
- SPD investigating drive-by shooting near Chelan and Ash
- City of Spokane public pools are closing for the summer soon
- Facebook, Instagram delete controversial figure James Allsup's accounts
- Cool off in the summer heat with a Poppy Unique Treat!
- Crash temporarily blocks all lanes of Highway 27 near Jackson Road
- Employees file tort claims against Asotin County judge