A woman was hospitalized with burns after a vehicle fire Saturday morning was caused by her companion pumping gas into a garbage can inside their car.
Responders were called around 8:15 for a vehicle fire at Cascade Grocery at 8034 Valley Road NW. Deputies found a 1988 Ford Tempo parked at the gas tanks and learned the male driver of the car attempted to fill a garbage can with gas which was placed in the back seat of the car.
A female passenger, who was smoking a cigarette, apparently caused the fumes to ignite, setting the car on fire. She was able to get out of the car but sustained severe burns. She was driven to Samaritan Healthcare for treatment where her condition is unknown.
The man fled the scene on foot.
Deputies discovered a large quantity of marijuana in the trunk of the car after the flames were extinguished. The vehicle was seized as evidence.
Anyone with information on this incident is asked to call the Grant County Sheriff's Office at 509-762-1160.
- Coeur d'Alene resident crashes car into Fernan Lake
- Fire leaves Shogun Restaurant "a total loss"
- Dogs reported stolen from Spokane yards
- Early morning fire destroys Spokane's Shogun restaurant
- UPDATE: SPD has located car in Spokane River
- Spokane Valley Police looking for suspicious male who contacted young girl