SPOKANE, Wash - We're learning more about what led to an hours-long standoff between Spokane County SWAT officers and a man on East Center Road.
Dana Keener, 43, was arrested Tueday morning after that stand-off. The woman who was his roommate had reportedly been held hostage in the home and assaulted.
The victim told authorities that for at least 12 hours Keener would not let her leave the house. She also said he took her car keys, damaged her phone, beat and choked her. Paramedics on the scene said she had boot marks on her ribs.
She was eventually able to escape the home but Keener stayed there with her 7-year-old son which led to the standoff. He eventually gave up and the child was not hurt.
Keener now faces second degree assault charges as well as first degree kidnapping.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- Spokane grandmother attacked by dogs in her own backyard
- 'This system is sick': family of man killed by SPD reacts to decision not to charge officer
- Gov. Jay Inslee drops out of the 2020 Democratic presidential race
- SPD searching for suspect in shooting near Post and Chelan
- Let 4 News Now's Daily Local newsletter get you ready for back to school!
- Coeur d'Alene Police searching for suspect in grocery store robbery