SPOKANE, Wash. - Two Eastern Washington University football players were hospitalized after being shot early Saturday morning in downtown Spokane's central bar district.
EWU Sports Information Director Dave Cook confirmed athletes Keith Moore, 21, and Dehonta Hayes, 22, were taken to the hospital with serious injuries.
The Spokane Police Department responded to reports of the shooting near N. Division St and Main Ave, around 1:22 a.m. According to police, SPD units were close by at the time and found the two athletes within a minute.
Once there, officers and bystanders performed first aid to Moore and Hayes until SFD and AMR paramedics arrived at the scene.
In a statement Saturday, EWU Director of Communications and Media Relations Dave Meany said, "Our first priority is to provide support and comfort to the students, their families, and their friends. Our thoughts are with them during this difficult time. We are pleased to report both students are expected to fully recover."
SPD is still investigating the shooting and asks any witnesses with information to call crime check at 509-456-2233.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from 4 News Now. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- Police investigating fatal motorcycle crash on N Indain Trail Road
- Friends of the Library fall book sale starts Wednesday
- Tartar Sauce puts Zip's Drive-In on the map
- Spokane voters to face income tax proposition on November ballot
- New effort to clean up crime in downtown Spokane
- City of Spokane to finish cleaning up storm debris within the week