SPOKANE, Wash. - Detectives have arrested a suspect in the death of a woman found Wednesday afternoon in a Spokane apartment.
The Spokane County Sheriff’s Office charged 28-year-old Joseph W. Scheel with first-degree murder. Scheel was booked into the Spokane County Jail Wednesday night as a fugitive due to an active felony and dangerous drugs warrant issued out of Idaho. The murder charges against Scheel were filed Thursday.
The victim's coworker called in a welfare check Tuesday afternoon, when she said the victim hadn't shown up for work in two days and was having problems with her boyfriend Joseph. Over the course of two days, SCSO deputies tried to get in touch with the victim three times. Deputies say when they arrived on scene Wednesday, they found a ladder leading into the unit, then were confronted by a man inside the apartment who was being uncooperative.
A deeper search of the apartment led deputies to find the woman's body. Major crimes detectives and a forensics team conducted a nearly 24-hour investigation and found probable cause to charge Scheel with first degree murder. As of Thursday, the victim's name and cause of death had not been released by the medical examiner.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- #happylife: move your workout indoors this fall at Spin City!
- FAA gives Grant County International Airport $9.9M grant for improvements
- Bidder offers more than $2,000 in auction for sticker-covered "Welcome" sign
- Owl gets stuck in the window of a Spokane Valley home, rescued by firefighters
- Franklin Co. man accused of murdering his mother arrested while crossing US-Mexico border
- Deer Park woman quits job to search for missing dog