SPOKANE, Wash. - A recent analysis by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) ranked Spokane among the cities with the largest homeless population.
Spokane has the fifth most homeless people in largely urban cities in the US, according to HUD. The report listed 1,245 people living in Spokane without permanent homes, both sheltered and unsheltered.
Compare that to the largely urban city with the most homeless people, Stockton, California, where there are 1,685 homeless people.
HUD ranked Washington as fifth in the nation with the highest homeless population. Half of all people experiencing homelessness were in one of five states, according to the report. Those states were Washington, California, New York, Florida, and Texas.
The HUD report offers a snapshot of homelessness on a single night. THe one-night counts are done during the last 10 days of January each year. Read the full report submitted to Congress here.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
'He was in pieces': Spokane woman relives that attack that killed her small dog
UAW's GM strike could be hard to solve
- 'He was in pieces': Spokane woman relives that attack that killed her small dog
- House of Charity in need of blanket donations as temperatures drop
- WSU student helps pay for his education with a craft idea turned business venture
- Spokane family building ALS-friendly home
- DNA analysts take stand for former police sergeant's sexual misconduct trial
- New affordable housing complex underway in Hillyard neighborhood