SPOKANE, Wash. - A recent analysis by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) ranked Spokane among the cities with the largest homeless population.
Spokane has the fifth most homeless people in largely urban cities in the US, according to HUD. The report listed 1,245 people living in Spokane without permanent homes, both sheltered and unsheltered.
Compare that to the largely urban city with the most homeless people, Stockton, California, where there are 1,685 homeless people.
HUD ranked Washington as fifth in the nation with the highest homeless population. Half of all people experiencing homelessness were in one of five states, according to the report. Those states were Washington, California, New York, Florida, and Texas.
The HUD report offers a snapshot of homelessness on a single night. THe one-night counts are done during the last 10 days of January each year. Read the full report submitted to Congress here.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Local woman, community raises over $5K for friend's prosthetic leg
- Bus service will soon offer $10 rides from Spokane to Seattle
- Moses Lake Police need help identifying man hit by car
- Community Resource Exchange helps those in need find free services
- 'Shop with a Cop' sees local law enforcement take kids shopping for winter clothes
- Bomb threat forces evacuation at Moscow Middle School