SPOKANE, Wash. - A Spokane man will be featured on the Facebook show "Returning the Favor" on Monday night.
The show follows host Mike Rowe as he travels across the United States in search of people making a difference in their community.
Monday's episode features Rick Clark, the man behind Giving Back Packs. A few years ago, Clark was homeless. He was living in a trailer in Medical Lake and one day decided to change his life. Since then, he has put himself through school and recently graduated from Gonzaga University. He's done all this while giving back to the community.
Clark founded Giving Back Packs as a way to help those in need. The organization supplies those needing help with backpacks full of supplies like food, gift cards, a library card, socks, gloves and hats.
Rowe surprised Clark while he was in class, the two had lunch at Jack and Dan's then headed to the Kennel where hundreds of people were waiting along with 500 military-grade backpacks, each equipped with a built in poncho. Rowe also gave Giving Back Packs $42,000 worth of deodorant and thousands of dollars worth of biodegradable tooth brushes, food, and socks. Clark also received a check for nearly $23,000 to pay of his Gonzaga tuition.
With all the national attention, Clark hopes his non-profit will spread to other cities.
"Homelessness and kindness are two things that can go anywhere, that's not just a Spokane thing," Clark said.
You can watch the full episode here.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from 4 News Now. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- Spokane Police Guild endorses Nadine Woodward for mayor
- Medical Examiner: 20-year-old homicide victim died of blunt head injuries
- Admitted Freeman HS shooter told detectives 'I know I did something for once and I'm not a failure'
- Garage destroyed in West Central house fire, no injuries
- Get the family comfortable on the water at Paddle, Splash and Play
- Homeless woman arrested for allegedly trafficking meth from Spokane to Latah County