SPOKANE, Wash - Republican Washington Senator Michael Baumgartner announced Friday he will run for Congress if 5th District Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers joins the Trump cabinet.
While there has been no official announcement, several reports Friday indicated Rep. McMorris Rodgers was Trump's choice to serve as Secretary of the Interior. Several Spokane politicians have already said they'd be interested in the vacated seat.
"When you grow up in Eastern Washington and you go to school in Colton, Pullman and Spokane, you get Eastern Washington stamped on your heart," Sen. Baumgartner said in a news release Friday. "I'm confident that, with your help, we can win many of the same battles in Washington, DC that we've won in Olympia."
Baumgartner has run for federal office before. He lost the election for U.S. Senate to Maria Cantwell in 2012. He has served in the Washington Senate since 2010.
- Kootenai County Jail low on beds, room for inmates
- Cheney High School students 'walk out' to show solidarity, ask for change
- Stevens County Sheriff's looking for home invasion suspects
- My Fresh Basket offers variety of cooking classes, events
- Washington schools rank high for Peace Corps volunteering
- Extreme Team one day away from big reveal