SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police arrested the suspect in a shooting at Riverfront Park early Thursday morning.
Officers responded to the park around 12:30 a.m. to reports of shots fired on N. Howard Street. Park rangers also reported hearing shots.
Police said two men were recovering from a minor crash on a Lime scooter. They were approached by a man, later identified as Detrick Johnson, who was swaying back and forth, and making nonsensical statements directed at them.
Police said Johnson then reached into his coat, drew a revolver and fired one round into the air. The victims took cover behind a garbage can and Johnson lowered the weapon, pointed it at them and fired another round toward them, police said.
Johnson then fled down Washington Street. Police said the victims decided to chase after Johnson, but lost him near the Big Red Wagon.
An officer stopped Johnson, who was running on the Washington Street Bridge near the tunnel. He told officers he was running because someone was chasing him.
While the officer was talking to Johnson, another man walked up and said he was working in the area as a “Juicer;” someone who recharges Lime scooters.
The Juicer later told police he heard gunshots and saw Johnson running. Moments later, the two victims ran up to him said they were chasing someone who had shot at them. The Juicer called 911 and then followed Johnson.
Johnson was arrested and booked for two counts of first-degree assault. The handgun involved was located just north of the Washington Street Tunnel.
Locals lay wreaths at the Washington State Veterans Cemetery ahead of the holidays
Need a photo with Santa? There will be plenty to choose from at this year's SantaCon
- Need a photo with Santa? There will be plenty to choose from at this year's SantaCon
- Coeur d'Alene Police Department awarded for keeping Idaho drivers safe
- Spokane Police searching for suspect who robbed Walgreens at gunpoint
- Portion of Hangman Valley Road reopens following rollover crash
- Tour bus driver killed in Quincy crash identified as 71-year-old Spokane man
- Thief steals Spokane father's truck with his entire business in the back