PEND OREILLE COUNTY, Wash. - The Pend Oreille County Sheriff's Office has closed the Pend Oreille River to recreational activities due to safety concerns over extremely high flow and flooding.
The closure means no boating, swimming, or any other activity is allowed on the river until further notice.
The river poses an extreme danger due to high flows, cold temperatures, and debris being carried downstream.
You are asked to keep a safe distance between yourself and the river. If you are placing sandbags or trying to protect your property from flooding, wearing a personal flotation device.
As temperatures warm, the river is predicted to continue rising.
- Spokane Valley firefighters prevent brush fire from spreading
- Troopers investigate fatal crash in Stevens County
- Brush fire in Quincy now contained
- Goats mow down weeds in Liberty Lake
- Lucky Friday miners on strike, claiming unfair labor practices
- City of Spokane, Catholic Charities announce overnight shelter changes