FRANKLIN COUNTY, Wash. - UPDATE: The 26-year-old who fell has been identified as Noble Stoneman. Dangerous conditions have forced crews to call off the search for his body.
Palouse Falls State Park is closed until further notice as crews search for a man who fell from a cliff Thursday afternoon.
Franklin County Sheriff Jim Raymond said a 26-year-old man was hiking with a friend above the falls - a spot outside of the designated viewing area.
"The ledge gave way, and one of them basically plunged down into the upper pool and was last seen in the pool itself, in the water," Raymond said.
Visitors often choose to go past clearly marked warning signs and park rangers can't stop them.
- Three people injured in fire at Regal Heights apartments on South Hill
- Spokane Valley standoff ends with child rape suspect in custody
- WA AG Bob Ferguson to host free legal clinic for Spokane veterans
- Spokane Co Sheriff's and SWAT Team respond to child rape suspect in Spokane Valley
- Panic button may have saved Spokane mom's life during attack
- Three homeless camps discovered near west Spokane park