Drug overdose deaths have skyrocketed in North Idaho’s Nez Perce County. Authorities say thirteen people died of a drug overdose there, at least double the number of any single year in the past nine years.
A Lewiston newspaper reports the county coroner's office compiled the figures, finding that overdose deaths spiked last year compared to the three overdose deaths recorded in 2016.
In five of the 13 deaths, two or more drugs were present at the time of death. In the remainder, one drug was attributed to the overdose - most commonly methamphetamine.
In 2014, 2013 and 2012, six people died of drug overdoses, with every other year in the nine years recorded totaling zero to three deaths per year.
- Forum seeks to end child abuse, increase affordable childcare in Spokane
- Spokane firefighter with legacy of protecting firefighters remembered
- Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery provides safe, confidential temporary childcare
- The impacts of child abuse, through the eyes of an officer
- Daycare worker fights for better access to childcare after death of Caiden Henry
- Kxly4 Extreme Team gets to work renovating Project ID