COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Coeur d'Alene Police identified the man who law enforcement officers shot and killed in a residential area west of the Silver Lake Mall Wednesday morning.
Both Coeur d'Alene Police officers and Kootenai County Sheriff's deputies responded to reports of a disorderly male in a neighborhood just west of Highway 95 around 9:50 a.m. Citizens said he had a knife and was acting aggressively toward people passing by.
Officers contacted 29-year-old Fares J. Al Samno at N. Pinegrove Dr. & W. Canfield Ave.
According to the police department, officers commanded the Samno to drop the knife, but he refused. Police said several officers attempted to use non-lethal force, including bean bags and tasers, before shooting at Samno. He died at the scene.
Samno has been described only as being in his late 20s. Police said he is from the area. Police would not say how many officers fired their weapons, or from which agency.
Post Falls Police will now take the lead on the investigation into the shooting.
- Housing complex for local homeless families closer to reality thanks to $5M grant
- Students, parents encouraged to attend symposium on vaping in Spokane schools tonight
- City leaders hope revamped Dutch Jake's Park will make West Central safer
- Judge temporarily halts execution of federal inmate who bombed Spokane City Hall
- Police arrest man for reportedly shooting at paper carrier in Spokane Valley
- EWU hopes to avoid another protest as anti-abortion advocates arrive on campus