WHITMAN COUNTY, Wash. - A North Idaho man died in a paragliding accident on Steptoe Butte Saturday morning.
According to the Whitman County Sheriff's Office, deputies and emergency medical crews were called to the butte Saturday morning around 10:30.
Don Croft, 69, of Athol, suffered a head injury and was flown to Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane where he died.
A friend who was paragliding with Croft told deputies that Croft crashed twice. Both times it appeared as though gusty winds forced Croft's paraglider to crash as he was trying to fly off the Butte. After the second crash, he complained of dizziness which was getting worse. His friend then called 911.
- Sears at the Spokane Valley Mall to close by February 2020
- Hundreds gather to dedicate new Millwood World War I Memorial
- Zags stay at no. 8 in AP Top 25 poll
- Washington's 2019 apple crop one of the largest in history
- A foggy morning should give way to a sunny Veterans Day
- Veterans & their families can ride the Looff Carrousel for free today