MOSES LAKE, Wash. - A Moses Lake man was arrested after he fell asleep in a stolen car, police said.
Moses Lake Police said 48-year-old Darrell Smith was taken into custody after a neighbor called to report a suspicious vehicle on Winona Street Monday night.
Officers responded and found Smith asleep in the car. MLPD said a black mask and a screwdriver were found inside.
Smith was booked into the Grant County Jail for possession of a stolen car and possession of burglar tools.
Smith is well-known to law enforcement. In 2010, he escaped from the Grant County Courthouse and stole a grain truck from downtown Ephrata while still wearing handcuffs. MLPD said he attempted to elude officers until he drove the truck off SR-17. He then ditched the truck and attempted to swim across the lake in handcuffs. A Grant County Sheriff’s Office sergeant had to jump in a rescue him.
- The Fall Train Show rolls in to Spokane today
- Last week's storm delays projects on the West Plains
- Mt. Spokane High School Artisan Craft & Food Fair wraps up today
- Bonner County Deputy crashes into car with minors, no injuries reported
- Spokane Police: Man arrested for mass shooting threats at downtown business
- 'People are just so kind': Child with rare disease meets his hero