SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash - The man shot in an apparent road rage incident in the Nine Mile area Thursday night appears to be the aggressor, according to Spokane County major crimes investigators and the shooter's mother.
The incident happened Thursday in the area of 8600 Block of N. Seven Mile Road.
Witnesses say a man was a passenger in a car and got upset with another driver. The passenger got out of the vehicle, was yelling at the driver and began physically assaulting him.
4 News Now spoke to the mother of that driver, Monica Pooley, who said her son warned the man that he had a concealed carry permit. He pulled it out as the man approached the vehicle and told investigators that the aggressive man taunted him, even as he warned him about the gun.
According to investigators, the driver thought the man was trying to take his gun and was punching him, so he fired the gun, hitting the man in the chest. He was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
The driver then panicked, threw the gun into the passenger seat and left the scene. He got to a safe location and called 911.
Investigators say based on the witness statements, the driver's statement and evidence at the scene, the man who was shot appeared to be the aggressor. While the shooter was initially detained, he was released.
Neither man's name has been released.
Detectives want to speak with anyone who may have witnessed the incident. They're asked to call Detective Mike Drapeau at 509-477-6921.
Truck stuck under Stevens St. underpass in downtown Spokane
Spokane City Council Pres. race could be headed for recount
- Spokane City Council Pres. race could be headed for recount
- Spokane Valley council to vote on camping ban, shortening park hours at Tuesday's meeting
- 'He was very bold, he didn't seem to care': Thief raids Spokane critical communications company
- Top local headlines to start your Tuesday
- Parents of Tyler Hilinski coming to Pullman for what would have been his senior night
- Veteran honors fallen service members with new memorial project