WASHINGTON, D.C. - Eastern Washington Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers released a statement Tuesday after voting in favor of a resolution to disapprove of President Trump's national emergency declaration.
In the statement, McMorris Rodgers advocated for the need to restore the authority of Article 1 of the Constitution:
I'm 100 percent in favor of President Trump's wall, and today's vote had nothing to do with the need to build it. Article 1 of the Constitution gives the legislative branch the exclusive power to make laws and set funding priorities. When that power is delegated to the executive or judicial branches, Representatives become elected bystanders and 'We the People' no longer have a voice. For that same reason, the same reason I was against President Obama using his 'pen and phone,' I voted to disapprove of the national security declaration.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
Spokane NAACP calls for Rep. Matt Shea's resignation
Level 1 Evacuation Notice issued for wildfire burning near Reservation Road in Stevens County
- Spokane NAACP calls for Rep. Matt Shea's resignation
- Level 1 Evacuation Notice issued for wildfire burning near Reservation Road in Stevens County
- Fire engine crashes while responding to a call in Royal City
- Unity in the Community draws thousands to Riverfront Park
- Help a local nonprofit raise money for families in need of medical travel
- There's still time this August to check out Sunday Art Mart