SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - First responders were called to the Spokane Valley YMCA Sunday morning for a reported drowning.
The Spokane Valley Fire Dept. said when crews arrived, they found an 81-year-old man who had suffered a cardiac issue while swimming laps in the pool.
A YMCA lifeguard who was on duty at the time pulled the man out of the water and began performing CPR along with another YMCA member until paramedics arrived.
Crews took over CPR and were able to regain the man's pulse before rushing him to the hospital. A battalion chief with Spokane Valley Fire said the man was in critical condition.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- Spokane Valley shooting witness: 'You just don't think it's going to happen where you are'
- Judge dismisses lawsuit against Mike Leach by former WSU football player
- #happylife: 'School Shoes for Kids' drive makes sure every student has a pair of sneaks
- Car crashes into jersey barrier along I-90 near Moses Lake
- Two people survive plane crash in Whitman County
- Help find homes for animals in need at this weekend's 'Clear the Shelters' event