SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police Patrol Anti-Crime Team have arrested a suspect, identified as Desean Weeks, involved in the hit-and-run death of a Lime scooter rider.
He was charged with vehicular homicide and felony hit and run.
A man was hit and killed while riding an electric scooter in Hillyard late Wednesday night.
Officers on scene said an SUV hit and killed the man, who was riding a Lime scooter near N. Crestline St. and E. Wellesley Ave. just before midnight.
The SUV kept driving after the crash, according to police. The man who was hit died at the scene and has not been identified.
The car investigators believe was involved was found rolled over about a mile away, at N. Pittsburgh and E. Empire Ave (pictured below).
Officers had brought in K9s and the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office Air 1 helicopter to search for the man through the night.
The investigation shut down E. Wellesley from N. Napa St. to N. Crestline for several hours. The road had reopened by 4:30 a.m.
A Lime spokesperson issued the following statement after the incident:
"We are devastated to learn of the tragic death in Spokane today, and our thoughts are with the victim's family and friends during this extremely difficult time. We have been in contact with local authorities to assist in their investigation however possible, and hope the driver of this hit-and-run is found quickly and brought to justice."
- Spokane County, City agree to share revenue
- Potential for free and reduced school meal cuts across schools
- Hazmat investigation underway at Stateline weigh station
- Plea deal reached in Lewis and Clark H.S. threat case
- Washington supreme court rules law impounding cars in DUI cases unconstitutional
- Snow is falling- and sticking- at Schweitzer Mountain Resort