MALOTT, Wash. - A Malott man was arrested on homicide charges Monday for stabbing and killing his mother, authorities said.
According to a release from the Okanogan County Sheriff's Office, 34-year-old Jose Mejia was taken into custody after a struggle with authorities.
Deputies, Malott Fire officials and a Lifeline ambulance were dispatched to the area of Old Highway 97 and Central Street for a report of a woman being stabbed by a man.
According to OCSO, Mejia ran away from the scene, but deputies found his shortly after thanks to the help of bystanders.
Mejia was taken into custody near the river. Deputies said he resisted and attempted to steal a deputy's firearm. Mejia and deputies continued to struggle and ended up in the river.
Mejia's mother, 64-year-old Juana Ferreria Demejia, died at the scene. Meija was taken to the hospital for a hand injury and was later booked into the Okanogan County Jail.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- Search continues for Moses Lake hiker who went missing in Skagit Co wilderness
- Local businesses collecting for National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Boat overturns in Lake Coeur d'Alene, men left clinging to floating ducks
- Convicted child rapist booked into Spokane County Jail
- Missing Spokane teen found safe in California, family says
- Are these chores on your list? Get them done before freezing weather sets in