ELK, Washington - UPDATE: The Spokane County Medical Examiner's Office has confirmed the identity of the woman as 59-year-old Carrie Hathaway.
A mobile home caught fire just after midnight Thursday in Elk, Washington, taking the life of a wheelchair-bound woman.
Firefighters responded to a house fire on the 11900 block of E. Laurel Rd.
Smoke alarms alerted the residents inside of the fire, but firefighters said the fire was fast-moving. A man was able to escape, but a woman was not.
The man told firefighter he tried to get back in to help her, but was unable to.
The woman's son tells KXLY his mom had cancer and is wheelchair bound. His father was the one who tried to rescue her.
“I am just going to get my dad through it,” said son Mark Hathaway. “I can deal with it. It's kind of a tough deal.
You've got to move on and I’m more worried about him than anything.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
This is a developing story.
- Moose rescued after getting tangled in swing set
- Beloved Crescent building Christmas window displays are back
- Cryptocurrency craze
- Spokane Park Board votes to create cross country skiing trails near golf course
- More people misuse disabled parking spots in winter months
- 'Tobacco 21' seeks to up the age to purchase cigarettes and e-cigarettes