SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police are investigating a bizarre break in at Our Lady of Lourdes Cathedral in downtown Spokane.
Police say James F. Meier, 30, broke into the church and broke the fingers off several statues and damaged the marble alter.
They say the 100+ year old alter is worth well over $5,000.
A police report reads, officers made contact with Meier outside the church around 9:00 a.m on Saturday on a disorderly person.
Police say they made contact with him and he was holding several artifacts, a six foot metal cross and numerous other items.
Surveillance video released to KXLY shows a inside the cathedral. In the video you him take the cross and start swinging it around.
In the police report it reads that attached to the cross was a 10 inch knife blade.
Meier has been charged with malicious mischief and disorderly conduct.
- Snowy start to Saturday in Spokane
- One girl found, one still missing from Bonners Ferry
- Passenger killed after collision with Chelan County snowplow
- Robbery suspects arrested after breaking into motel room
- Pullman psychologist arrested for sexually assaulting patient
- Second storm of the week brings new snow, high winds to Inland NW