SPOKANE, Wash - Spokane Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich says he will run for Congress if Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers is named Secretary of the Interior.
Sheriff Knezovich made the announcement on his Twitter account Friday afternoon, saying "Family just said go for it. It's official Ozzie for Congress if CMR gets appointment."
Sheriff Knezovich has led the Spokane County Sheriff's Office since 2006. He has served in law enforcement for 26 years. A Republican, he has as served as president of the Washington Sheriffs and Police Chiefs Association.
Knezovich's name came up immediately as word spread that President-Elect Trump would likely tap Rep. McMorris Rodgers to lead the Department of the Interior. That announcement had not been made official as of early Friday afternoon.
- UGM Student Impact Center aims to help Spokane's at risk youth
- Newport marchers protest proposed smelter
- One killed, two injured in head-on crash near Deer Park
- Students compete in "Hack-a-thon"
- Restaurant week opens with a bang, chefs prepping for busy night two
- Hero dog shot three times trying to save family