SPOKANE, Wash. - A portion of a nursing care facility was evacuated Tuesday night because of a leak from a hazardous gas container.
Spokane Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the 1800 block of E. Upriver Drive around 7:30 p.m.
Crews discovered the leak and called in reinforcements.
Four firefighters and two facility staff were exposed to the gas and were transported to a local hospital.
A portion of the facility was evacuated while another area was sectioned off to allow residents to stay safely. Around 75 residents were evacuated.
SFD's Hazardous Materials Response Team found that the gas leak had stopped, and monitored the area before determining the gas had been cleared, so residents could safety re-enter.
No residents were injured or exposed to the gas. Another staff member was injured during the evacuation.
The four exposed firefighters have been released from the hospital and are expected to make a full and quick recovery. There is no information yet on the condition of the two facility staff members.
- Morning Sprint: Dec. 14
- As bald eagles converge on Lake Coeur d'Alene, biologist warns of lead bullet use
- Christmas inflatable decorations slashed
- Toddler learns to snowboard before first birthday
- Spokane Democrats say Alabama special election gives hope for 2018
- Band members charged with raping woman released from jail