SPOKANE, Wash. - UPDATE: The man who died has been identified as 53-year-old Daniel Craven. He was killed by multiple gunshot wounds.
Spokane police officers were involved in a shooting on Spokane's South hill in the 5900 block of S Mt. Vernon St.
Police and the Spokane Valley Sheriff's Office were initially responding to a domestic violence incident.
A Spokane Police Officer was the first to arrive on scene. Police said within a minute of checking on scene, officers heard gunfire. Two officers fired their weapons shortly after that, hitting the man. A firearm was located near him.
No officers were hurt, the suspect died from his injuries at the hospital.
The incident is being investigated by the Spokane Investigative Regional Response (SIRR) Team.
Officers on scene were equipped with body worn cameras. Any footage captured by the body cameras, as well as any captured by cameras in the area, will be reviewed by SIRR Team investigators.
The Officer Involved Protocol was enacted. The SIRR Team is on-scene investigating the incident. The SIRR Team is comprised of multiple agencies in eastern Washington, including the Spokane Police Department, the Washington State Patrol and the Spokane County Sheriff's Office.
- Spokane ranked 2nd least safe city in Washington
- Forum seeks to end child abuse, increase affordable childcare in Spokane
- Spokane firefighter with legacy of protecting firefighters remembered
- Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery provides safe, confidential temporary childcare
- The impacts of child abuse, through the eyes of an officer
- Daycare worker fights for better access to childcare after death of Caiden Henry