SPOKANE, Wash. - The Spokane Sheriff's Deputy who suffered a gunshot wound during a standoff with a domestic violence suspect has been identified as Sergeant H. J. Whapeles.
Sergeant Whapeles sustained a gunshot wound to his right shoulder, and was released from the hospital on March 8. He is now home with his family and is expected to make a full recovery.
At this time, Sergeant Whapeles and his family are asking for privacy, but he did state, “I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support from local area law enforcement, the many other area first responders, and the public. My family and I are forever grateful for the unbelievable support of this community.”
The shooting happened in the town of Colbert, on North Colbert Road along Leslie Lane. The suspect was killed in the exchange of gunfire.
- Kootenai County Jail low on beds, room for inmates
- Cheney High School students 'walk out' to show solidarity, ask for change
- Stevens County Sheriff's looking for home invasion suspects
- My Fresh Basket offers variety of cooking classes, events
- Washington schools rank high for Peace Corps volunteering
- Extreme Team one day away from big reveal