Local News

Renfro trial resumes with testimony from forensic scientist, medical examiner

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - After a break on Wednesday, Jonathan Renfro's murder trial picked back up Thursday. 

Renfro is facing first degree murder for the shooting death of Coeur d'Alene Police Sergeant Greg Moore in May of 2015. If convicted, he could face the death penalty. 

Renfro's defense does not deny that he shot Sgt. Moore. Renfro actually admitted to detectives that he had. Instead, they claim Renfro did not intend to shoot the sergeant in his face and fired his weapon in self-defense, claiming Moore had his hand on his weapon.

In court on Tuesday, Moore's weapon was placed before the jury. It was found by investigators in the superstructure of a tractor trailer- the same tractor trailer under which Renfro had been contacted by a Kootenai County Sheriff's Office K9 unit on the morning of May 5, 2015. 

The weapon, and two magazines were consistent with the make and caliber of a weapon bought by the Coeur d'Alene Police Department. 

That was not the weapon used against Moore- that gun made it's first appearance in the trial today. It was found by detectives in a field south of the Wal-Mart where Renfro was arrested. It was in a holster, and a magazine was found nearby. 

The bullets were 9mm, which is the same caliber as the bullets taken from Renfro's pocket when he was initially searched. It's also the same caliber as the bullet fragments found during Sgt. Moore's autopsy. 

Washington State Patrol forensic scientist Glenn Davis tested both weapons. He testified that the bullet fragments found during the autopsy were consistent with bullets fired from the weapon found in the field. 

The court also heard testimony Thursday from a CdA Fire Captain Steven Jones who responded to the shooting. He told the court that he had known Sgt. Moore before the shooting, but had to ask who he was that morning- the sergeant's injuries made his face unrecognizable. 

Dash cam video shared with the court showed the arrival of paramedics on scene, and taking over life-saving measures from police officers already there. They moves Sgt. Moore to the ambulance. At that point,n the captain said, Moore was in cardiac arrest. He had no pulse and was not breathing. 

The medical crew was able, after several attempts, to provide an airway to Sgt. Moore's lungs. At Kootenai Medical, he was placed in the care of Dr. William Ganz, a neurological surgeon. Ganz said Moore had little reaction to neurological tests. Those reactions grew lesser throughout the day. Moore was declared brain-dead that afternoon. 

Spokane County Medical Examiner and forensic pathologist John Howard conducted the autopsy. His testimony involved a number of graphic images of Moore's injuries.