KODIAK, Alaska - A fishing vessel that caught on fire has likely sunk in the western Aleutians.
Coast Guard Petty Officer Sara Mooers says a helicopter crew could find no trace of the Western Venture during an aerial survey Monday.
The ship caught on fire Sunday, and the five crew members abandoned ship. They were picked up by a Good Samaritan vessel, the Seattle-based Aleutian Beauty, which delivered crewmen to Adak on Monday. The five crew members were expected to be flown to Anchorage on Tuesday.
Mooers says there was about 2,000 gallons of diesel reported aboard the Western Venture, and the fuel was likely consumed in the fire. The helicopter crew didn't see any sheen during Monday's flyover.
The Coast Guard continues to investigate the cause of the fire.
- Mayoral candidates make their final appeals as election night looms
- Your guide to a very Spook-ane Halloween
- Two arrested after stolen car crashes into Lewiston home
- SCRAPS is looking for help with food donations
- Cat found badly injured in a Spokane neighborhood alleyway
- Local "baby shower" celebrates Washington State's new paid leave program