North Idaho

Road rage murder suspect held on $2 million bond

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Prosecutors say the murder of an innocent man was due to a case of road rage.

The man suspected of killing William "Bo" Kirk, David Earl Hutto, made his first court appearance in the Kootenai County Jail.

Even seasoned homicide detectives are appalled something as trivial as road rage could trigger the death of a husband and father just trying to get home and spend a Saturday night with his family.

We now know Bo Kirk's disappearance had nothing to do with his job at Northwest Specialty Hospital. Kirk left work on his own accord and at the wheel of his own truck. However, somewhere between Post Falls and Kirk's Coeur d'Alene home, prosecutors say Kirk's driving made David Hutto angry.

"This appears to be a road rage incident," Kootenai County Deputy Prosecutor Rebecca Perez said in court on Monday. "Mr. Kirk was followed home after the defendant was enraged by something Mr. Kirk did, followed him home and apparently kidnapped him. Took him to a location where Mr. Kirk was bound and murdered."

Kirk was taken hostage in his own driveway at gunpoint and driven to the Hayden Creek shooting range, where Hutto allegedly ended Kirk's life.

"Did willfully, unlawfully, deliberately and with malice aforethought, but without premeditation, kill and murder William Tyrus John Bo Kirk, a human being, by shooting him with a handgun, from which he died," Judge Jim Stow said in court.

According to detectives, only after Kirk was dead did the suspects hatch a plan to empty Kirk's bank account. Hutto and his still unnamed accomplice stopped at a pair of ATMs driving Kirk's stolen truck.

"It appears to be a random attack, deliberate and brutal," said Perez. "Following the murder, the defendant took measures to hide what had happened. Purchased some gasoline, burned Mr. Kirk's car. Further victimized Mr. Kirk's family using Mr. Kirk's credit cards."

Prosecutors then asked the court to set Hutto's bond at $1 million. Judge Stow decided to double the amount to $2 million.

Hutto will be staying in the Kootenai County Jail until his preliminary hearing within the next 14 days.

Hutto's alleged accomplice is a prisoner of the federal government. That person has not been indicted and it will be up to the U.S. Attorney's Office to release his name.