COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office (KCSO) has released the names of the woman and two children found dead in Fernan Lake on Thursday.
The bodies were that of Misty Phelps, 25, of Coeur d'Alene and her two kids, Tristan Phelps, 1, and Riley Phelps, 2.
It was a somber scene Friday at the west Fernan boat launch. Flowers were left to honor the three lives cut short.
We spoke briefly today with Misty's brother, Ed. He honored his sister and nephews yesterday in a Facebook post, saying Misty was both an amazing person and mother.
Authorities asked neighbors for any information they might have. We spoke with several who either didn't see anything, or were unaware that the incident even happened.
The KCSO has not yet released any information as to why or how the car ended up in the water.
Phelps was an employee at the Coeur d'Alene Press. She worked in the manufacturing department. On Friday, the paper released a statement saying "A story like this is always difficult to cover, especially when children are involved. What brings it even closer to home is the fact that it involved one of our valued employees."
Autopsies are being conducted on Friday for all victims.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Search warrants lead to arrest of eight at Red Top Motel
- Post Falls Police search for missing teen
- SPD investigating after body found downtown
- Pullman businesses raise money to fight mental illness
- Kootenai County Jail population hits record high
- Investigation prompts several search warrants at Red Top motel in Spokane Valley