SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police officers fired multiple shots at a man in a hospital gown, armed with a large knife near Perry and Dalton Sunday night.
The man was rushed to a local hospital for treatment- his condition is unknown.
Spokane Police Chief Craig Meidl said officers received a call about a reckless driver in the neighborhood around 6 p.m. on Sunday. Witnesses tell KXLY the man jumped out of the car, and the vehicle rolled down the street.
Bo Johnson was working in his yard when he watched the suspect stab himself and then run toward neighbors on a sidewalk.
"He was screaming, 'I'm not going back to prison. You're not taking me today. Kill me, kill me," said Bo Johnson.
Chief Meidl said multiple officers fired multiple shots. There is body camera footage of the shooting. The Spokane Investigate Regional Response Team is now investigating.
"All I know is they protected my neighborhood and my family. They did everything in their power not to shoot this man. He gave them no option," said Johnson.
- Search warrants lead to arrest of eight at Red Top Motel
- Post Falls Police search for missing teen
- SPD investigating after body found downtown
- Pullman businesses raise money to fight mental illness
- Kootenai County Jail population hits record high
- Investigation prompts several search warrants at Red Top motel in Spokane Valley