Local News

Jury begins deliberation in Renfro murder trial

Jury begins deliberation in Renfro...

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - The fate of a man accused of killing a Coeur d'Alene police sergeant now lies in the hands of a jury.

Jonathan Renfro admitted to killing Sgt. Gregory Moore in 2015, but it's up to the jury to decide if he did so deliberately or in self defense.

As of Thursday, the jury is done for the night, but they didn't go home.

They're sequestered during deliberations, staying in a hotel instead of going home and risking any outside influence on their decision.

The jury has heard hours of testimony over the last few weeks but Thursday, both sides said it all comes down to the bodycam video, what you see and what you don't.

The prosecutor's advice to the jury as they set forth to deliberate was to trust their eyes, and specifically, what the state believes Sergeant Moore's body camera shows: a polite conversation between Sgt. Moore and Jonathan Renfro that turned deadly in a matter of seconds.

After collecting Renfro's license, Officer Moore asks him to come over, turning ever so slightly. In slow motion, you see Renfro get close, within a foot of Moore. Renfro lifts his pocketed hand which has a finger on the trigger above the gesturing hand. Sgt. Moore barely sees it coming.

The State says the silence after the shooting speaks volumes. If you didn't mean to shoot him, wouldn't you panic? The fact that he ran and didn't provide aid drives that point home further.

The defense went next. They say Renfro acted in self defense. They claim what you didn't see in the footage was Sgt. Moore pulling his gun, arguing that Renfro acted in self defense. As for not providing aid to a dying Sgt. Moore, defense attorneys said first responders with military training couldn't save him, how could Renfro be expected to?

The prosecution's answer to that? At least those first responders actually tried. Again, the jury has weeks of testimony and evidence to pour over. They'll be meeting back at the Kootenai County Courthouse Friday morning and will stay each day until 5 or when they reach a verdict.

They can decide between first degree murder, second degree murder, voluntary manslaughter, or render a not guilty verdict altogether.